276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lost London 1870-1945

£25£50.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The insight these photos give into what London was like during the war is truly eye-opening and horrifying.

With each discarded book, we thought of the imagination, magic, and knowledge lost forever to a garbage heap and we endeavored to find a better way. One of my first reactions was Eugene Atget coming to mind when first browsing through the images: the streets, sometimes with and sometimes without people. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Modern technology and smaller GoPro type cameras have allowed for this type of film to be executed, but it is also well choreographed.Taken to provide a unique record of whole districts of London as they were vanishing, each of the photographs is a full-plate image, a stunning work of art in its own right.

Peckham was one such village, and one particularly interesting photograph shows a farmhouse that survived as a reminder of Peckham’s rural roots. This book is not an architectural textbook, this book is written for laypersons, you don't need to possess any advanced knowledge of architectural history or architectural styles to enjoy this book.These include the Wyngaerde Panorama, the Visscher Panorama, the Hollar Panorama, the Copperplate map of 1555 and the Agas map of 1560. They’ve been in the news quite a lot lately; my sister sent me these of Oxford, which I absolutely love, and just today I spotted this fascinating set of photos comparing the sites of the D-Day landings back in 1944 with how they are today. Dickens crops up seven times in the index, because there are photographs of seven places that he visited or used in his novels. There ain't no pay in blogging, and when there ain't no regular income either, every little helps, and is gratefully received.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment